Fact Sheet on School Fees for 2017-2018
Earlier this Spring, Elk Island Catholic Schools (EICS) announced that we would be using funds directed by the Alberta Government as part of Bill 1 and announced in Budget 2017, which is intended to reduce school fees for parents. Since EICS has never charged fees for eligible transportation and all fees for Basic Education were eliminated in the 2016-17 school year, this new funding of $474,000 will provide EICS the ability to further ease the financial burden for our families in the following ways:
- EICS will no longer require parents to supply basic school supplies for their students other than a backpack, gym attire and one-to-one technology device (as recommended for Grades 5-12).
- BASIC SUPPLIES WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL
- EICS will be supplying all basic required supplies to students, including, over the next 3 years, providing a graphing calculator while a student takes high school math courses.
- All remaining fees charged to parents, such as field trips, sports teams or enhanced programming with additional costs, will continue to be optional. Parents will be provided a choice for their child to participate in enhanced education services or extracurricular activities on a cost recovery basis.
- EICS will continue to provide monthly reports on all fees collected and spent at our public EICS Board meetings and also online.